Thursday, February 28, 2013

Visit to Canada

This is a mural I found somewhere east of Victoria BC's China Town.  I originally thought it was an image of the lady of justice covered in stickers.  Upon closer inspection I found that it is made up of individual panels painted by different people who had agreed on an overall image-- but also each added something of their own.  I imagine that the construction of this mural was done by a group of young people going through the juvenile justice system of Canada.  Though I don't know for sure. 
 

 

Close Ups



This panel has four quotes on the themes of justice and peace written around the sides-- with a quote by Thomas Jefferson in the center.  The Jefferson quote deals with human possibility.     
 


In this block a figure appears to be climbing onto the hilt of lady Justice's sword, trailing greed, hatred, addiction, and violence behind him.
 
 
The phrase "Land of the Free and Brave" is one of three things that remind me of America in this mural.  The other two are the Thomas Jefferson quote I talked about above-- and the head of Abraham Lincoln which can be found in the top two images. 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment